Jewish Zagreb

Establishment of the Jewish Community of Zagreb and its institutions

From the end of the 18th century, Ashkenazi Jews from the territory of the Habsburg Monarchy, mainly from Hungary and Moravia, settled in Zagreb. It was a Neolog (the Hungarian form of Reform Judaism) community.

The community owned a block of buildings from 16 Palmotićeva Street, built in 1898, Amruševa to the rabbinate building on the corner of Amruševa and Petrinjska. Many other Jewish institutions and societies also operated there as important segments of Zagreb civil society and life.

The community had its own school and kindergarten. Primary school, which then lasted four years, was founded in 1841. After that, students went to high school or gymnasium, which lasted eight years. The kindergarten was founded and managed by Mirjam Weiler, according to the Montessori method, and today's community kindergarten bears her name.

First in the community building, and later in an independent hall nearby, at the address 20 Palmotićeva Street, the Jewish sports club Makabi operated. They were best known for gymnastics, fencing, table tennis, and they also had a very good football club. The community buildings were confiscated by the NDH authorities in 1941. The community had to move to 4 Tomislav Square, into the building of a Jewish foundation. After the war, only the building at 16 Palmotićeva Street was returned to the community, and some of the communal buildings were returned since the 1990s.


ContinueBack to map

Terms and Privacy

© 2025 USC Shoah Foundation, All Rights Reserved